Sunday, August 4, 2013

Quick Eats: La Taqueria- Vancouver, BC

 

I've been looking for good restaurants around where I live; places that are near by (ie. walking distance) and are tasty. I turned my attention towards my handy Urbanspoon app on my phone. Now I've realized that Urbanspoon percentages are really a random number because really, it's all based on your personal experience as well as your personalized tastes. But usually I am more inclined to try restaurants that get relatively higher number because of the HOPE that the more people like it, the more I will.

I looked what was nearby and found a good rating for this taco shop: La Taqueria. La Taqueria is a nice little taco shop on Cambie Street.


I've walked by this restaurant a few times during my short time here and it has constantly been busy; today was no different. I stepped into the line up they had almost to the door waiting to place my order. Looking at the menu, I noticed one interesting thing: they only served 2 food items, tacos and quesadillas. There were about 12 different varieties of tacos along with 5-6 different drinks. It's such a rarity that a Mexican taco shop only serves tacos and quesadillas. I guess their thought is if you're going to do something, do it good and do it right.


I decided to get four tacos today: the chorizo taco (special of the day), the asada (grilled flank steak), the de lengua (braised beef tongue) and the al pastor (pork marinated in achiote chilli and pineapples) tacos. My favorite tacos had to be the chorizo and al pastor tacos because they had a ton of flavor and were not dry. My least favorite was the asada taco as the meat was much too dry. I also liked the pickled vegetable condiments you can add to your tacos. They had a nice pickled flavor. But in general, there was nothing too special about these tacos. I don't really understand why it's so busy.



La Taqueria is an interesting place to try if you're in Vancouver. But I do not think that I would try this place more than once. The tacos and service is nice but something I wouldn't make a habit of going often.

http://lataqueria.ca


La Taqueria on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment