Saturday, May 25, 2013

Barpa Bills Souvlaki- Banff, AB


Eating alone is so difficult. I can only eat so much by myself and I am also limited to what I can try as one person. As I am in Banff, AB for the next little while, I looked to Urbanspoon for some quick eats; somewhere where I do not have to go and sit alone to eat. Now I can go with a few co-workers/friends but when I want to go eat out on the spur of the moment, I want something fast.
Barpa Bill's Souvlaki had one of the higher ratings on Urbanspoon in the town of Banff. I literally pass by it every day on my way to work. It's a little Greek fast food joint situated right beside the Home Hardware and next to the LUX movie theatre on Bear St.
As I entered Barpa Bill's, I noticed that it was very small. There were lots of bar stools and counters for people to eat. The walls were filled with signed autographs from various famous skiers & winter sports athletes (eg. Ryan Smyth of the Edmonton Oilers) and a few posters relating to Greece. The floors and atmosphere didn't have the cleanest appearance but I usually am not one to care if the food is good. There are two people, one of them being the owner, working behind the counter. As you step up to the counter to look at the menu, you place your order and wait for your food to be prepared. The menu consists of Greek flavored items, from souvlaki and spanakopita, to American food, such as burgers and fries. All of the items have taxes included in the price, which is always nice. Barpa Bill's only takes cash, so bring some money (they do have an ATM).
I decided to go with the lamb souvlaki pita for $8.00 as it seemed to be a popular item from all the reviews I had read. The food came out in about 5-10 minutes. The lamb souvlaki pita consisted of a pita bread with a skewer of lamb kebabs topped with tzatziki sauce, romaine lettuce, slices of tomatoes and paprika.
The pita bread was lukewarm and I wished it was hotter. There was plenty of tzatziki sauce, which was delicious. The tzatziki had a very creamy flavor and the paprika was a surprisingly great addition. The paprika added a nice heat to the wrap, something I haven't had on any Greek pita.  The meat was also very delicious. But there were only about 4-5 pieces of nicely cooked lamb to be had and I left very hungry after finishing the meal.
Overall, Barpa Bill's is a nice place to go for a quick meal and I would definitely go back to try their other items. However for the price, I would expect a little more.

Rating:
3.5/5 Erics

Barpa Bill's Souvlaki on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment